Tax faqs

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When can I claim?
A: Either at the end of the financial year (April 5th), or when you have finished work and won’t be working again in that financial year.

Q. Do I get all of my tax back?
A: If you have earned less than £4,745 in the 04/05 financial year then you will receive a full tax rebate of tax paid. If you have earned over your tax-free allowance, click here to calculate your rebate .

Q. If I make a claim midway through the tax year, do I have to wait until the end of the tax year to receive my rebate?
A: No. You can claim at any time of the year and expect to receive your rebate within 4 to 6 weeks.

Q. How far back can I claim and are there any late lodgement penalties?
A: You can claim back as far as 6 years and as most people are not required to make statutory returns, there are no late lodgement penalties.

Q. Can we take over your rebate if it has been sent to the Inland Revenue and they are taking a long time?
A: Yes we can, just contact a consultant today and they will tell you what we can do for you.

Q. What is the correct tax code?
A: The standard tax code for 04/05 is 474L.

Q. How do I know if I am paying emergency tax?
A: If there is a suffix or prefix on your code then you have an emergency code. The most common are; W1, M1, BR, X, WK1, MTN1.

Q. Under what circumstances would I be most likely to get a tax refund?
A: There is more chance of receiving a tax rebate if you are on the wrong tax code, paying emergency tax, have not worked the full tax year OR worked in the construction industry on a CIS25 basis.

Q. Do I need a National Insurance number to make a claim?
A: No. If you don’t have a NI number Rapid Refunds will apply for a temporary one as part of the service.

Q. Can I reclaim my National Insurance contributions?
A: Not in the form of a cash refund. You can transfer a portion of your contributions into a UK private pension, which will mature once you reach retirement age.

Q. Can I claim any expenses or deductions?
A: Yes, you can claim any expenses or deducations if you have receipts.

Q. I work on a CIS 25 basis in the construction industry. Can I claim tax back?
A: most certainly. On a CIS 25 basis you are taxed at a very high rate (18%) and allocated no free tax allowances. You can also claim extensively for any work related expenses such as; Accountant fees, Travel, Telephone, Tools, Clothing, etc.

Q. What’s the difference between a P60, P45 and a CIS 25?
A: A P60 is a statement of income and Tax to the end of the Tax Year. You will receive a P60 from your employer in April. A P45 is your Group Certificate received when you finish employment. A CIS 25 is a unique Tax Form solely used in the construction industry

Q. Where are you located?
A: We are conveniently located at 10 Royal Opera Arcade, Haymarket, London, SW1Y 4UY.

Q. What are your opening hours?
A; Monday to Friday 09.00 – 17.30, but you can contact us 24 hours a day 365 days a year via email [email protected].

Q. Do I need to make an appointment?
A: No just drop in and our friendly team will be pleased to help.

Q. Why Rapid Refunds?
A: With over 17 years experience and 700.000 satisfied clients we are market leaders in our field. Our aim is to secure you the maximum return in the shortest period of time. We offer the most competitive rate, superior service with the all the security of dealing with an Association of Tax Agents (ATA) bonded agent.

Q. If I am not a UK citizen, does that mean I can get all my tax back?
A: Only if you have earned less than £4,745 (2004/2005) in the financial year.

Q. Can I only claim for one job if the others were only part time?
A: No you have to declare your entire earnings even if you only work a part time position. All income must be declared to the Inland Revenue.

Q. Can I claim for just one tax year if that’s all I want to claim?
A: No, you have to claim for your entire work history.

Q. What official documents are required by the Inland Revenue?
A: You will need to make a signed declaration of various facts but will not be asked to produce a Passport or provide Work Permit details.

Q. I don’t have a bank account can I get cash from your office?
A: Providing you have a Passport we are happy to pay your claim in cash. If not we can always deposit the money into a nominees account.

Q. I won’t get my P45 from my last job until I have left the country can I still lodge my return?
A: Yes we can lodge the claim with the tax office and then forward them the P45 once we receive it.

Q. Can I lodge a tax claim on my friend’s behalf?
A: No you would not be able to sign the forms on their behalf. You can always collect the forms or we would be pleased to post them.

Q. I have already been to the tax office to claim but they are taking such a long time can you take it over?
A: No as a matter of company policy.

Q. How much money will I get back?
A: We can only calculate this once we have the information from all your employers.

Q. Do I have to do a tax return?
A: Most people are not required to lodge a return, but it’s always worth checking if you are due a refund.

Below is a list of employment that would require a tax return.

Directors of Ltd companies
Construction industry workers on CIS25 vouchers
High-income earners (40% tax bracket)

[ ^ back to top ]